Hot Off the Roth Runway
Michelle Roth and Henry Roth's Top Ten!
Trends, Secret Style Tips plus Dos and Don’ts for each trend. The latest collection is available now at Kleinfeld click here to make an appointment to view the collection
1. Texture Asymmetrical Shapes Gain Greater Confident Signature
2012-2013 sees even grander statements in gorgeous textured fabrics that play against a bride’s figure and silhouette. Fabric that falls anything but evenly on the figure is in. Lush, light gowns are sculpted, creative and mainly, bling free.
Henry Roth Esmerelda has an asymmetrical taffeta bodice and cascading skirt, Michelle Roth Ohara uses lace artistically sculpting a textured silhouette.
The secret tips: DO keep accessories to a stark minimum. DON’T choose a gown that overwhelms your body type.
2. Colour you love
As recently as last weekend the New York Times had a spotlight on wedding gowns gaining confidence with colour. Look out for exciting moves that take us to new territory. Joining Diamond White, Candlelight and Ivory are Champagne and Blush. Odelia in champagne satin came out onto the runway with striking confidence, Ophelia in blush velvet takes advantage on the play of colour, femininity and sexy fabrication.
The Secret Tips: DO be adventurous: Your Day, Your Way. DON’T choose an adventurous colour because it seems like the right thing to do from a trend and fashion driven perspective, but do it because you love it.
3. Vintage lace
New improved va va voom formula! Brides are having the best time ever with the fantasies of old school vintage lace. It will give you the feeling of stepping into your mother’s or grandmother’s closet yet with all the modern day conveniences of fabulous silhouettes and cutting edge shapes. Amanda is vintage lace expressed in a contemporary 50s ballgown, Abigail is brushed cotton and silver embroidered cotton vintage lace which has all the feel of old school with modern romance.
4. 50s Floaty Ballgown, Shape of the Future
Brides continue to really embrace the waist. This is the perfect shape for pear, fuller hips and brides seeking a striking proportionate silhouette with fuller figure sizes. No other gown quite personifies striking effortless 50s ballgowns other than our Michelle Roth Opal. Hand in hand sculpted, strapless sweetheart necklines and lowered back has exactly the impact you would expect, effortless.
Secret Tips. DOS be sure to try on this shape even if the petticoats might seem full, you might be surprised you can carry the shape. DON’T try to overwork the look, necklaces especially, will distract from the main signature.
5. Gown styling gains a whole new respect
With the feeling that gowns are making gorgeous statements of their own, not only is the trend moving away from too much bling but is also moving towards a far cleaner, starker approach. We see brides choosing very clean necklines and moving away from beaded cuffs. In their place one signature piece could be a gorgeous earring or a striking Swarovski textured beret for the hair. Here we styled Annette with lots of oxygen and the touch of a sparkle in her earring, letring the movement, texture and silhouette take over.
Secret Tip: DO know when to stop, as a bride you have to stop earlier than you thought you would have. DON’T like the less embellished trend? Then add little touches that make you feel the love, its only about how you feel in your gown.
6. New generation fabrications keep it light, glowing and gorgeous
As a kid I can remember how heavy satin was unrelenting, hot and often too thick for the pleating and draping we can achieve today. Many new generation fabrications including our matte sheen satin is right on trend with gowns that captivate with points of difference and interest. Our Alexi fitted ballgown in matte sheen satin drapes and glows.
Secret Tips: DO be adventurous, you may think you don’t want to try on a fabric because you’ve never liked it but a new generation of fabric might change your mind. DON’T get caught up in fabrics whether new or old generation. Often we have a predisposition to the feel of certain fabrics and this will never change.
7. Striking silhouettes take strategy
Because the aisleway is very influenced by the texture and the subtle points of difference, creativity and sculpting on the gown, the end result needs to create a striking silhouette. Our Oakley ballgown features textures of taffeta and silk tulle intercut but the symmetrical cut of slightly drop waist bodice that creates drama only a well cut silhouette can. Alexi shows fitted sumptuousness in striking matte sheen satin.
Secret Tips: DO enjoy the fact that grand entrance gowns are here. DON’T go in with an approach that is costume-y, it still needs to feel like you are wearing the gown, not the opposite.
8. Necklines continue to flatter
We are not saying that strapless is still not the shape that commands many styles however the options for necklines since Kate Middleton, are without a doubt inspiring, they can add different dimensions to the look of the gown. We have sheer boat necklines, as shown in Anthea and in stretch English net as shown in Olga gown by Michelle Roth.
Secret Tips: DO go there: With some exciting new shapes, boat necklines, plunging Vs, cap sleeves, and Princess Anne necklines that are worth trying on. DON’T go there: If it’s going to feel scratchy and you feel encumbered and somehow not quite there with it then it’s not your gown or your neckline.
9. Signature embellishments as a focus
Bold signature embellishments on otherwise simple gowns are now huge news for brides in 2012 and 2013. Check the close up of the gorgeous Michelle Roth Opal dress which is in stark contrast to the clean silk organza gown. Also notice this cascading self fabricated embellishment on Olivia with textured flower detail, this creates a signature embellishment of contrast and drama.
10. Its all about your personality
Pictured here is our Real Henry Roth bride, Sara Bentson wearing the gown she was married in (Henry Roth Style Nicole) in August 2011. Sara was our guest on the runway. A trend that is never going to go away is being yourself, expressing it and sharing the warmth of your day with your family and friends.
Comment on your favorite gown or trend!
There are no comments yet. Be the first to post a comment.
Mara Urshel is the Owner/President of Kleinfeld and directs all merchandising, sales, marketing, and advertising.
Read Mara's Full Bio
Read Terry's Full Bio
Director of Sales and Merchandising
Dorothy is the director of sales and merchandising for Kleinfeld.
Read Dorothy's Full Bio
Director of Kleinfeld MEN
Frank is spearheading the growth of Kleinfeld MEN and is an authority in men's style.
Read Frank's Full Bio
Jacques joined Kleinfeld in 2005 and is the visionary behind Kleinfeld's famous window displays.
Read Jacques' Full Bio
Marketing & PR Dept.
Kleinfeld Unveiled is a new Blogger ID brought to you by the Marketing and Public Relations Department at Kleinfeld Manhattan.
Read Full Bio
Say Yes to the Dress
Read Randy's Full Bio
The Knot Site Editor
Anja combines her writing and editing skills with her weddings expertise to bring the most of-the-moment wedding trends to millions of engaged couples.
Read Anja's Full Bio
- Gorgeous Great Gatsby Inspired Wedding Gowns at Kleinfeld!
- First Impressions Count: A Well-Addressed Wedding Envelope
- Accessorize! : May 7th Sale
- Life is Your Red Carpet: A Collection by Henry Roth
- (Almost) Never Too Late to Save the Date!
- Must See Roth TV Part 2!
- May 7th, 2013 - Warehouse Sale
- Invitation Perfection, in Every Color Under the Sun
- The Kleinfeld (Paper) Bride
- The Today Show: Randy Talks Red Carpet Inspired Bridal
- Kleinfeld debuts on THE FACE Tonight at 9pm!
- The Oscars 2013
- Introducing Kleinfeld PAPER!
- Good Morning America Says I DO!
- Kleinfeld MEN! Valentine Gifts for Him!
- Behind the Scenes with Kleinfeld Exclusive Designer Dennis Basso
- Must See Roth TV!
- First Blow Out Sale of 2013!
- The Wedding Party 2013!
- 2013 Golden Globe Looks
- 2013 Trunk Shows: Meet Our Designers!
- TOP 10 DRESSES of 2012
- 5 Easy Steps to Hiring a Wedding Planner
- Michelle Roth: 40s Inspired Photoshoot
- Introducing the New Fragrance by Pnina Tornai
- Kim Kardashian in Mark Zunino
- Shopping Tips + More Sample Sale Steals!
- Say Yes to Hurricane Sandy Relief
- Sandy Who?: The Show Must Go On
- Fall 2013 Bridal Trends
- Cry Me A River - He's a married man...
- 4 Dos & Don'ts of Wedding Video Packages
- Even MORE Sample Sale Gowns!
- Sample Sale Gowns!
- Three Tips to the Perfect Hair Trial
- Three Steps to Getting the Flowers You Want
- NOW OPEN: The Kleinfeld Gift Shop
- The Devil Wears Prada Goes Bridal
- Hot Off the Roth Runway
- Kleinfeld MEN, Our Tuxedo Rules
- A Super Cute DIY Bridal Shower in New York City
- 4 Simple Steps to Getting the Perfect Wedding Cake
- 5 Tips to a Fabulous Wedding Video
- Kleinfeld + Colin Cowie Valentine's Day Wedding PART TWO
- Kleinfeld + Colin Cowie Valentine's Day Weddings
- 5 Tips to Getting the Wedding Photos You Want
- The Golden Globe 2012 Red Carpet Fashion Bridal Look-a-Likes!
- The Wedding Party NEW YORK!
- Finding a Great Reception Venue
- A Heart Wrenching Story We Can All Learn from ... Dec. 16th on Say Yes to the Dress
- Our Favorite gowns from the new Henry Roth & Michelle Roth 2012 Collection
- Penguins, Pin Dots & Plaid
- A Power Couple
- Beyoncé's New Video! (You can see her wedding dress!)
- Sample Sale Secrets!
- Joan Rivers from E!'s Fashion Police visits Kleinfeld
- The 2012 Pnina Tornai Collection
- The Dennis Basso Runway Show
- Say Yes to the Dress Season 7 - Only 1 Week Left!
- The 2011 Emmys Red Carpet Gowns Turned Bridal!
- Kim Kardashian's Look ... The Kleinfeld Way
- Tips from Randy: VIDEO
- Dennis Basso Signs Licensing Deal with Kleinfeld Manhattan
- Say Yes to Harry Potter! What would Hermione Granger wear on her wedding day?
- Winning Wedding Wednesday - WEEK THREE!
- Kate's Royal Jewels for Less!
- Winning Wedding Wednesday - WEEK TWO
- Winning Wedding Wednesday PART ONE - UPDATE!!!
- Announcing Kleinfeld's Ecommerce Launch
- Henry Roth's New Collection plus Tips & Trends!
- Red Carpet Looks MTV Movie Awards & CFDA Awards Edition
- Kleinfeld MEN - Guys' Night Out Event
- Kleinfeld on The View!
- Aruna Seth Accessories
- Date Night!
- Lazaro Trunk Show in June - Appointments Limited ...
- Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress Knockoff Hits Stores
- Princess Kate - It's Official
- Royal Honeymoons - Part IV
- Royal Honeymoons - Part III
- Royal Honeymoons - Part II
- Princess Diaries
- Royal Honeymoons - Part I
- Will Kate Middleton Say Yes to this dress?
- The Kleinfeld Bridal Market Wrap Up
- Alita Graham 2012 Collection
- Behind the Scenes: A Sneak Peak at The Alita Graham Spring 2012 Collection
- What did he wear at the Oscars?
- Kate Middleton VS. Kate Moss
- Happy Presidents' Day - The Wedding Edition
- Greetings from Turkey!
- NY Fashion Week - Badgley Mischka
- Valentine's Day Getaways
- Valentines Day Gift Ideas For Him
- Vote for Say Yes to the Dress!
- Mens' Style at The 2011 SAG Awards
- 2011 SAG Awards Bridal Fashion Trends
- Kleinfeld, TLC & Brides Magazine Celebrate Season 6 of Say Yes To The Dress!
- Royal Wedding Week: Randy's Pick for Kate's Dress
- Royal Wedding Week: Every Princess Needs a Tiara
- Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let Us Ski!
- Winter Wonderland Wedding Dresses
- Say Yes to the Dress Premiers Friday
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Dream Dresses
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Pnina’s Finale Piece
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Big Bliss
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Introducing Interns
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Top Accessory Trend
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: The Roths
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: The Proposal
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Opening of Kleinfeld MEN
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Buyer's Pick
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Sarah's Wedding!
- Kleinfeld Holiday Windows 2010
- Top 5 Gifts of Love at Kleinfeld
- A Holiday House for Susan G. Komen
- Christmas Getaways & New Years Escapes!
- The Gift of Love
- Kleinfeld Men Know How to Party
- November 16th & 18th - The Roth Runway Trunk Show!
- Essentials for your Fall Wardrobe
- New at Kleinfeld: Carole Anne Hughs "Get a Grip on the Trip"
- The Famous Dresses of Big Bliss!
- Statement Necklaces
- Your Questions, Answered!
- Premiere of Say YES to the Dress: Big Bliss!
- Attend the Roth Runway Spring 2011 Show!
- Guest Blogger for Martha Stewart!
- Stylish Shoulder Candy
- NEW to Kleinfeld MEN: Hugo Boss
- All NEW Kollection from Alita Graham!
- Alternatives to Strapless Gowns!
- Red Carpet Corsetry
- Your Heat Wave Wardrobe: Staying Cool in Hot Summer Sun
- July 27th Blow Out Sale: Hottest Accessory Items
- Just in @ Kleinfeld - Sweet Stephanie James Sensations
- Love is a Piece of Cake
- Adding Color to Your Wedding Attire
- Style is not a trend. Style is Confidence.
- Bridal Belts
- Behind the Scenes: Finding Sarah's Dress!
- 10 Basic Items for Every Man's Closet
- Roth Runway 2010 & NEW to Kleinfeld Dresses!
- The Knot National Summer 2010 Cover
- Mother's Day Special Event
- Kleinfeld MEN on TV!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld - A Monique Miracle!
- Say Yes Fans...Friday nights are Back!
- Groom's Week Day 7: The Elements of Black Tie
- Groom's Week Day 6: Accessorizing the COUPLE
- Groom's Week Day 5: Page 6 3/4
- Groom's Week Day 4: The Knot TV MEN
- Groom's Week Day 3: Attention Brides!
- Groom's Week Day 2: The Professor Is In.
- Groom's Week Day 1: The MEN of the Oscars
- Brides Against Breast Cancer Event
- Accessories at the Oscars
- Randy's Very Overdue Oscar Recap - Women's Edition!
- Journey of the Made to Measure Windows
- Complete the Look: Accessorize Like a Movie Star with This Week's "Just In!"
- Just In at Kleinfeld: Sexy Bridal Fashion by Badgley Mischka!
- IF Wedding Fashion Show 2010 in Izmir, Turkey!
- Complete the Look: How to Accessorize Randy's Latest "Just In" Gown!
- Just In at Kleinfeld - The Master of Laces!
- Recap & Behind the Scenes at Martha!
- Real Diamonds for Real Women
- Martha Stewart: The Wedding Show!
- Blow Out Sale Tuesday...Oh how SWEET it is!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld - "Love Me Tender"
- Wedding Party Reminder - Get Your Tickets!
- My fashion opener for La Bella Bride
- Palm Beach Wedding Party – You're Invited!
- "'Twas the Night Before Christmas at Kleinfeld - Holiday Windows!"
- Just in @ Kleinfeld! "WOW" GOWN!
- Kleinfeld 2010 Market Week Report!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld! Monique Lhuillier
- New Kollection, New Photos!
- Be a Part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month with Kleinfeld!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld - Lazaro!
- Be On the Look Out for...
- Just IN! Just GENIUS!
- Honeymoon Trends, Passé? No Way!
- DON'T MISS "Say YES to the Dress" NEW SEASON, NEW TIME!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld: Amsale!
- The "Surrealist" Windows
- Dream Honeymoon on a Budget:What to do when you want steep and he wants cheap!
- New @ Kleinfeld: Kenneth Pool!
- Exciting News Happening at Kleinfeld!
- Afternoon at The Plaza Anyone? Meet You There!
- Real Diamonds on Your Wedding Day!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld! New Alita Graham!
- Your Honeymoon – Culture Couture or Sun by the shore?
- Brand NEW Kleinfeld Kollection!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld! JIMMY CHOOS!
- Sample Sale Success!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld
- GREEN is the New White
- Just in @ Kleinfeld
- Evolving Ruffles!
- Randy Dresses Penelope Cruz and Anne Hathaway for their Weddings!
- Engage '09 Symposium
- The Blow Out Sale is Coming!
- Does your mother, MIL still need a dress?
- Tune in Today on TheKnot.com
- "The Wedding Day" Window
- Market Report from Sposa Italia
- Lanvin Exclusively for Kleinfeld...coming in November!
- Lazaro & Platinum Trunk Show
- Bridal Fashion Week!
- How far would you travel for your wedding gown?
- Kleinfeld is Officially a 2009 Modern Bride Trendsetter!
- Nicole & Randy Live and Unedited!
- Blow Out Sale Survival Guide
- Blow Out Sale April 28th
- Tonight on ET
- Bridal Market Update
- Window Shopping...Sneak Peek!
- Studio Nine goes Behind the Seams to tell a story
- CHRISTIAN LOU'S, JIMMY CHOOS, AND COLORED SHOES!
- Tips and Ideas for Plus Size Brides
- I'm THRILLED to announce our new blog "Behind The Seams"!
- Greetings from Turkey!
- The Perfect Palette
- Momzilla Berates Bride-to-Be