Finding a Great Reception Venue
Finding a Great Reception Venue
One of the first things you’ll think about after you’ve gotten engaged (beyond the dress of course) is to find your wedding venue. What should you look for in your reception site (aside from that sense of rightness you know you'll have the moment you see the perfect spot)? We suggest you keep these helpful hints top in mind.
A Roomy Fit
It sounds obvious (because it is) but make sure the room is large enough to accommodate the number of people on your guest list. The best way to assess the size of a site? Ask to take a peek of the space when another wedding (with an equivalent guest list size) is all set up.
Eating, Drinking and Partying Areas
When you’re standing in the space, try to envision where each activity would happen (especially if your ceremony will be there). If a room is too small to separate into sections accordingly, you will probably feel cramped.
Privacy varies widely from place to place, as does the importance couples place on it. If you're having a daytime event in a public spot, such as a park, beach or botanic garden, be prepared for strangers to trek past your party.
Light can make -- or break -- the mood and the space. Visit the site at the same time of day that you've chosen for your wedding. Even if the space looks romantic by candlelight, you may be surprised by the sight of that 20-year-old carpet during the day.
A Great View
Whether it's your city skyline, a stunning vista of rolling mountains beyond the windows, or the crashing sea on the sand behind you, exceptional locations with a view are always a plus. If there's no view per se, look to a place's decor or architectural details.
The Right Color
The site doesn't have to be done in the exact colors as your planned decorations, but the walls, carpets, chairs, and curtains shouldn't clash or conflict with your party's mood or theme.
Take note of where the outlets are; if their location will force your DJ to spin records in the bathroom (kidding, but you get the point), make sure she or he has plenty of extension cords.
If the place is too echoey, it could give some weird reverb to the band, not to mention make it difficult for guests to hear one another talking. A tile or wood floor, for example, will amplify sounds, while a thick carpet will tend to muffle them.
Plenty of Parking
Make sure the site is near a good parking lot, garage, or big, empty (safe) street where it's legal to park. Inadequate parking isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it may mean spending more time and money to figure out a viable vehicular alternative.
There are no comments yet. Be the first to post a comment.
Mara Urshel is the Owner/President of Kleinfeld and directs all merchandising, sales, marketing, and advertising.
Read Mara's Full Bio
Read Terry's Full Bio
Director of Sales and Merchandising
Dorothy is the director of sales and merchandising for Kleinfeld.
Read Dorothy's Full Bio
Director of Kleinfeld MEN
Frank is spearheading the growth of Kleinfeld MEN and is an authority in men's style.
Read Frank's Full Bio
Jacques joined Kleinfeld in 2005 and is the visionary behind Kleinfeld's famous window displays.
Read Jacques' Full Bio
Marketing & PR Dept.
Kleinfeld Unveiled is a new Blogger ID brought to you by the Marketing and Public Relations Department at Kleinfeld Manhattan.
Read Full Bio
Say Yes to the Dress
Read Randy's Full Bio
The Knot Site Editor
Anja combines her writing and editing skills with her weddings expertise to bring the most of-the-moment wedding trends to millions of engaged couples.
Read Anja's Full Bio
- Project Window: Making Dreams Come True
- Gorgeous Great Gatsby Inspired Wedding Gowns at Kleinfeld!
- First Impressions Count: A Well-Addressed Wedding Envelope
- Accessorize! : May 7th Sale
- Life is Your Red Carpet: A Collection by Henry Roth
- (Almost) Never Too Late to Save the Date!
- Must See Roth TV Part 2!
- May 7th, 2013 - Warehouse Sale
- Invitation Perfection, in Every Color Under the Sun
- The Kleinfeld (Paper) Bride
- The Today Show: Randy Talks Red Carpet Inspired Bridal
- Kleinfeld debuts on THE FACE Tonight at 9pm!
- The Oscars 2013
- Introducing Kleinfeld PAPER!
- Good Morning America Says I DO!
- Kleinfeld MEN! Valentine Gifts for Him!
- Behind the Scenes with Kleinfeld Exclusive Designer Dennis Basso
- Must See Roth TV!
- First Blow Out Sale of 2013!
- The Wedding Party 2013!
- 2013 Golden Globe Looks
- 2013 Trunk Shows: Meet Our Designers!
- TOP 10 DRESSES of 2012
- 5 Easy Steps to Hiring a Wedding Planner
- Michelle Roth: 40s Inspired Photoshoot
- Introducing the New Fragrance by Pnina Tornai
- Kim Kardashian in Mark Zunino
- Shopping Tips + More Sample Sale Steals!
- Say Yes to Hurricane Sandy Relief
- Sandy Who?: The Show Must Go On
- Fall 2013 Bridal Trends
- Cry Me A River - He's a married man...
- 4 Dos & Don'ts of Wedding Video Packages
- Even MORE Sample Sale Gowns!
- Sample Sale Gowns!
- Three Tips to the Perfect Hair Trial
- Three Steps to Getting the Flowers You Want
- NOW OPEN: The Kleinfeld Gift Shop
- The Devil Wears Prada Goes Bridal
- Hot Off the Roth Runway
- Kleinfeld MEN, Our Tuxedo Rules
- A Super Cute DIY Bridal Shower in New York City
- 4 Simple Steps to Getting the Perfect Wedding Cake
- 5 Tips to a Fabulous Wedding Video
- Kleinfeld + Colin Cowie Valentine's Day Wedding PART TWO
- Kleinfeld + Colin Cowie Valentine's Day Weddings
- 5 Tips to Getting the Wedding Photos You Want
- The Golden Globe 2012 Red Carpet Fashion Bridal Look-a-Likes!
- The Wedding Party NEW YORK!
- Finding a Great Reception Venue
- A Heart Wrenching Story We Can All Learn from ... Dec. 16th on Say Yes to the Dress
- Our Favorite gowns from the new Henry Roth & Michelle Roth 2012 Collection
- Penguins, Pin Dots & Plaid
- A Power Couple
- Beyoncé's New Video! (You can see her wedding dress!)
- Sample Sale Secrets!
- Joan Rivers from E!'s Fashion Police visits Kleinfeld
- The 2012 Pnina Tornai Collection
- The Dennis Basso Runway Show
- Say Yes to the Dress Season 7 - Only 1 Week Left!
- The 2011 Emmys Red Carpet Gowns Turned Bridal!
- Kim Kardashian's Look ... The Kleinfeld Way
- Tips from Randy: VIDEO
- Dennis Basso Signs Licensing Deal with Kleinfeld Manhattan
- Say Yes to Harry Potter! What would Hermione Granger wear on her wedding day?
- Winning Wedding Wednesday - WEEK THREE!
- Kate's Royal Jewels for Less!
- Winning Wedding Wednesday - WEEK TWO
- Winning Wedding Wednesday PART ONE - UPDATE!!!
- Announcing Kleinfeld's Ecommerce Launch
- Henry Roth's New Collection plus Tips & Trends!
- Red Carpet Looks MTV Movie Awards & CFDA Awards Edition
- Kleinfeld MEN - Guys' Night Out Event
- Kleinfeld on The View!
- Aruna Seth Accessories
- Date Night!
- Lazaro Trunk Show in June - Appointments Limited ...
- Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress Knockoff Hits Stores
- Princess Kate - It's Official
- Royal Honeymoons - Part IV
- Royal Honeymoons - Part III
- Royal Honeymoons - Part II
- Princess Diaries
- Royal Honeymoons - Part I
- Will Kate Middleton Say Yes to this dress?
- The Kleinfeld Bridal Market Wrap Up
- Alita Graham 2012 Collection
- Behind the Scenes: A Sneak Peak at The Alita Graham Spring 2012 Collection
- What did he wear at the Oscars?
- Kate Middleton VS. Kate Moss
- Happy Presidents' Day - The Wedding Edition
- Greetings from Turkey!
- NY Fashion Week - Badgley Mischka
- Valentine's Day Getaways
- Valentines Day Gift Ideas For Him
- Vote for Say Yes to the Dress!
- Mens' Style at The 2011 SAG Awards
- 2011 SAG Awards Bridal Fashion Trends
- Kleinfeld, TLC & Brides Magazine Celebrate Season 6 of Say Yes To The Dress!
- Royal Wedding Week: Randy's Pick for Kate's Dress
- Royal Wedding Week: Every Princess Needs a Tiara
- Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let Us Ski!
- Winter Wonderland Wedding Dresses
- Say Yes to the Dress Premiers Friday
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Dream Dresses
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Pnina’s Finale Piece
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Big Bliss
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Introducing Interns
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Top Accessory Trend
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: The Roths
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: The Proposal
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Opening of Kleinfeld MEN
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Buyer's Pick
- Best of Kleinfeld 2010 Video Countdown: Sarah's Wedding!
- Kleinfeld Holiday Windows 2010
- Top 5 Gifts of Love at Kleinfeld
- A Holiday House for Susan G. Komen
- Christmas Getaways & New Years Escapes!
- The Gift of Love
- Kleinfeld Men Know How to Party
- November 16th & 18th - The Roth Runway Trunk Show!
- Essentials for your Fall Wardrobe
- New at Kleinfeld: Carole Anne Hughs "Get a Grip on the Trip"
- The Famous Dresses of Big Bliss!
- Statement Necklaces
- Your Questions, Answered!
- Premiere of Say YES to the Dress: Big Bliss!
- Attend the Roth Runway Spring 2011 Show!
- Guest Blogger for Martha Stewart!
- Stylish Shoulder Candy
- NEW to Kleinfeld MEN: Hugo Boss
- All NEW Kollection from Alita Graham!
- Alternatives to Strapless Gowns!
- Red Carpet Corsetry
- Your Heat Wave Wardrobe: Staying Cool in Hot Summer Sun
- July 27th Blow Out Sale: Hottest Accessory Items
- Just in @ Kleinfeld - Sweet Stephanie James Sensations
- Love is a Piece of Cake
- Adding Color to Your Wedding Attire
- Style is not a trend. Style is Confidence.
- Bridal Belts
- Behind the Scenes: Finding Sarah's Dress!
- 10 Basic Items for Every Man's Closet
- Roth Runway 2010 & NEW to Kleinfeld Dresses!
- The Knot National Summer 2010 Cover
- Mother's Day Special Event
- Kleinfeld MEN on TV!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld - A Monique Miracle!
- Say Yes Fans...Friday nights are Back!
- Groom's Week Day 7: The Elements of Black Tie
- Groom's Week Day 6: Accessorizing the COUPLE
- Groom's Week Day 5: Page 6 3/4
- Groom's Week Day 4: The Knot TV MEN
- Groom's Week Day 3: Attention Brides!
- Groom's Week Day 2: The Professor Is In.
- Groom's Week Day 1: The MEN of the Oscars
- Brides Against Breast Cancer Event
- Accessories at the Oscars
- Randy's Very Overdue Oscar Recap - Women's Edition!
- Journey of the Made to Measure Windows
- Complete the Look: Accessorize Like a Movie Star with This Week's "Just In!"
- Just In at Kleinfeld: Sexy Bridal Fashion by Badgley Mischka!
- IF Wedding Fashion Show 2010 in Izmir, Turkey!
- Complete the Look: How to Accessorize Randy's Latest "Just In" Gown!
- Just In at Kleinfeld - The Master of Laces!
- Recap & Behind the Scenes at Martha!
- Real Diamonds for Real Women
- Martha Stewart: The Wedding Show!
- Blow Out Sale Tuesday...Oh how SWEET it is!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld - "Love Me Tender"
- Wedding Party Reminder - Get Your Tickets!
- My fashion opener for La Bella Bride
- Palm Beach Wedding Party – You're Invited!
- "'Twas the Night Before Christmas at Kleinfeld - Holiday Windows!"
- Just in @ Kleinfeld! "WOW" GOWN!
- Kleinfeld 2010 Market Week Report!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld! Monique Lhuillier
- New Kollection, New Photos!
- Be a Part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month with Kleinfeld!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld - Lazaro!
- Be On the Look Out for...
- Just IN! Just GENIUS!
- Honeymoon Trends, Passé? No Way!
- DON'T MISS "Say YES to the Dress" NEW SEASON, NEW TIME!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld: Amsale!
- The "Surrealist" Windows
- Dream Honeymoon on a Budget:What to do when you want steep and he wants cheap!
- New @ Kleinfeld: Kenneth Pool!
- Exciting News Happening at Kleinfeld!
- Afternoon at The Plaza Anyone? Meet You There!
- Real Diamonds on Your Wedding Day!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld! New Alita Graham!
- Your Honeymoon – Culture Couture or Sun by the shore?
- Brand NEW Kleinfeld Kollection!
- Just In @ Kleinfeld! JIMMY CHOOS!
- Sample Sale Success!
- Just in @ Kleinfeld
- GREEN is the New White
- Just in @ Kleinfeld
- Evolving Ruffles!
- Randy Dresses Penelope Cruz and Anne Hathaway for their Weddings!
- Engage '09 Symposium
- The Blow Out Sale is Coming!
- Does your mother, MIL still need a dress?
- Tune in Today on TheKnot.com
- "The Wedding Day" Window
- Market Report from Sposa Italia
- Lanvin Exclusively for Kleinfeld...coming in November!
- Lazaro & Platinum Trunk Show
- Bridal Fashion Week!
- How far would you travel for your wedding gown?
- Kleinfeld is Officially a 2009 Modern Bride Trendsetter!
- Nicole & Randy Live and Unedited!
- Blow Out Sale Survival Guide
- Blow Out Sale April 28th
- Tonight on ET
- Bridal Market Update
- Window Shopping...Sneak Peek!
- Studio Nine goes Behind the Seams to tell a story
- CHRISTIAN LOU'S, JIMMY CHOOS, AND COLORED SHOES!
- Tips and Ideas for Plus Size Brides
- I'm THRILLED to announce our new blog "Behind The Seams"!
- Greetings from Turkey!
- The Perfect Palette
- Momzilla Berates Bride-to-Be